Saturday, February 26, 2011

Uses Promptos Facit ! (Practice makes Perfect)

 PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT - 'The more you practice, the better your skills are. The proverb has been traced back to the 1550s-1560s, when its form was 'Use makes perfect.' The Latin version is: 'Uses promptos facit.' First attested in the United States in 'Diary and Autobiography of John Adams' ." From "Random House Dictionary of Popular Proverbs and Sayings" by Gregory Y. Titelman (Random House, New York, 1996).

Let's think about practicing the 12 Steps- ah, perfectly. Impossible? Maybe not!

On page 68 of the A.A. book The 12 and 12 we read "Only Step One, where we made the 100 percent admission we were powerless over alcohol , can be practiced with absolute perfection. The remaining eleven Steps state perfect ideals."

What is an ideal? ( If you know me or of me, I won't use modern dictionary definitions when it comes to especially A.A. inquiries. I will get as close to the time frame when the subject matter was written. I found the Thorndike Barnhardt Comprehensive Desk Dictionary from 1951 most helpful.)

Ideal- perfect type; model to be imitated; what one would wish to be. Exhisting only in thought. (nuff said).

So, we admit, based on data we collect after being sober a few weeks that alcohol is to be reproached. We disapprove of the use of alcohol because we understand it to be at the core of our many problems. We can blame alcohol (yes I said that- blame) as well for our woes, the unmanageability. When I BLAME alcohol, by definition I am finding FAULT with it.

Don't take the first drink and you won't get drunk. To understand better the definition of an alcoholic I suggest you purchase the book Alcoholics Anonymous also known as the Big Book and read the first 4 Chapters at least.

What are the founders of the A.A. program, the Twelve Steps saying about Step One being the only Step we can practice with absolute perfection?

AND if ideals are a "perfect type of thought, what we wish" then why can't we practice the remaining eleven Steps prefectly?

We need to define practice now-

Practice- action done many times over for skill; skill gained by experience or excercise; action or process of doing or being something. (nuff said).

Bear with me now as we trek this maze. I have said (yes I do get my own ideas) that A.A. gives the phrase "one step forward, two steps back" a NEW meaning. We come to realize that each step prepares us for the next step AND as we move forward on the steps we GAIN a better understanding of the previous steps. Going forward takes us backwards.

When we think about practicing Step One with absolute perfection, we need to include understanding Step One perfectly requires moving forward. To understand just how dangerous drinking is we follow the suggested Steps requiring we put down, on paper, OUR WHOLE LIFE STORY. ( Big Book page 73). As we move forward we see backward.

If the remaining eleven Steps are perfect ideals, by practicing them (action done many times over for skill; skill gained by experience or excercise; action or process of doing or being something) are we not "making perfect" as in "practice makes perfect?"

When we are LOYAL (faithful) to Step One, we make that admission about the danger of alcohol (to the alcoholic, don't take that first drink thereby setting the terrible cycle in motion) and our understanding that that obligation met leads to a "managable" life.

But how to continue that managiblity?

We know that admitting we have a problem and staying sober for a brief period is just a beginning. Yes, we are happy that we "found a home" in Alcoholics Anonymous but those who have been on this journey for quite some time remind us it is just that- a beginning. To sustain the managability there are some suggestions we should consider following. Dr. Silkworth, a contributor to A.A. principles said "we need follow a few simple rules"- trust God, clean house and help others.

When I "do the math" (Steps 2 through 12) I get the solution to the problem-I am powerlessnes over alcohol and its continued use makes my life unmanagable. That's the solution. Alcohol is a problem.

But wait, we will read in the Basic Text of A.A. that bottles were only a symbol, our problems were of our own making. (page 103, 4th edition)

This is simple to explain.

First of all HOW we drank was alcoholically. For me, once I start I can't stop easily even if I sincerely want to. This MAY go on for days, weeks, and months.

Second, WHY I drank becomes clear to me as I study the A.A. Books, The Big Book and The Twelve Steps and Twelve traditions and APPLY, practice, imitate and wish the Twelve Steps into my life! (refer back to the definitions of ideals and practice above). Consider my experience, strength and hope AND that of thousands of others as well.

This is the HOW and WHY of alcohol and its effect on the alcoholic.

Another term I use (yes it's my own but share it) is "on any given day I am one of two things. I am either humble or I am about to be humbled."

I remain humble as far as not taking a drink goes.

I become humble as far as a managable life is concerned as THE day passes and circumstances present themselves. How I act and re-act.

So I have come to a conclusion that my "posture " ( the way I hold myself) is always- no alcohol knowing where a few drinks will lead me. Step One.

The "approach" I take toward each day is based upon how well I know myself and what led me to that knowing. Steps Two through Twelve.

The "posture" can be perfect, the "approach" can at times be flawed.

HOWEVER, we understand that our approach is the result of our posture and our posture is the result of our approach.

Sounds perfect.

Thank you, John B. "the tat2guru"












No comments:

Post a Comment